Welcome to the Pandawill Forum | Community for China Products Discussion.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    What is a good cheap 7" tablet?

    I have just bought 3 Freelander PD10 7" tablets. I really like the unit - very good build quality and works fairly well for such a cheap tablet. I also own a Cube U30GT 10.1".

    One of the problems with the PD10 is the font size (DPI). It is awful - only 4 lines on the screen. I have played with the icon size, but even they do not fit well. Another problem is that I simply cannot root the things - perhaps it is my Win 7 64 bit system. I had no trouble rooting my Cube U30GT, so I do not know what is going on.

    One of the problems with my Cube U30Gt is the speaker - I really am not sure why they fitted one at all - it is totally useless. If Pandawill was just down the road, I would return it.

    Anyway, I was looking for a 7" tablet similar to the Freelander PD10 - preferably with decent speakers (all other things being the same). ie something for about the same price as the PD10. ie Android 4+, capacitive screen, 1G RAM, flash does not matter (4, 8, 16 gigs). I only paid $79 for my first PD10 on special, so something around that would be great.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by kneighbour View Post
    I have just bought 3 Freelander PD10 7" tablets. I really like the unit - very good build quality and works fairly well for such a cheap tablet. I also own a Cube U30GT 10.1".

    One of the problems with the PD10 is the font size (DPI). It is awful - only 4 lines on the screen. I have played with the icon size, but even they do not fit well. Another problem is that I simply cannot root the things - perhaps it is my Win 7 64 bit system. I had no trouble rooting my Cube U30GT, so I do not know what is going on.

    One of the problems with my Cube U30Gt is the speaker - I really am not sure why they fitted one at all - it is totally useless. If Pandawill was just down the road, I would return it.

    Anyway, I was looking for a 7" tablet similar to the Freelander PD10 - preferably with decent speakers (all other things being the same). ie something for about the same price as the PD10. ie Android 4+, capacitive screen, 1G RAM, flash does not matter (4, 8, 16 gigs). I only paid $79 for my first PD10 on special, so something around that would be great.

    Any suggestions?
    1st root, and then you can change the font.

    To root:
    1) go winPC, download and install "unlock root"
    2) connest your tablet to winPC with USB, and wait, unlock root would detect your tablet, something like sxz...01
    3) click root and tablet reboot done

    dl and install LCD density modder from Googleplay, that would allow you to change to font size of your choice. 120 or 160 are the most popular ones.

    Other cheap tablet of $79 range. PD10 is the best; I have tried ICOO D50 lite, it is fine; cannot think of anything that is in the range but performed as good as PD10.


    welcome onboard!


    bun

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
    1) go winPC, download and install "unlock root"
    2) connest your tablet to winPC with USB, and wait, unlock root would detect your tablet, something like sxz...01
    3) click root and tablet reboot done
    Thank you for your comments. I cannot get that process to work at all. I see that many other users cannot get it to work either, so I am not alone. Perhaps I will try it on another computer if I get the chance.

    I am happy to see that you think the PD10 the best amongst the cheap tablets. I now have bought 3 of these things!

  4. #4
    Unlockroot application does not work on W7 (there are no drivers for the tablet). You should use a WXP machine to root. If you are located in Canada a very good deal is the LePan TC970 for $149 at Amazon.ca. It is a cortex A8 (TI) with 9.7" IPS screen, with GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth. It has a very good battery life and a gorgeous screen. Works well, can be rooted, but the operating system is Froyo.
    It came into my mind that I should try W7 starter edition, so I did. Unlockroot works on that too and also it works on W7 32 bit versions. The driver provided is not compatible with 64 bit W7.
    Last edited by ion54; 07-31-2012 at 01:26 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ion54 View Post
    It came into my mind that I should try W7 starter edition, so I did. Unlockroot works on that too and also it works on W7 32 bit versions. The driver provided is not compatible with 64 bit W7.
    Ok, thanks for that. I should be able to find a Win 7 32 bit somewhere.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kneighbour View Post
    ...I am happy to see that you think the PD10 the best amongst the cheap tablets. I now have bought 3 of these things!
    You know what? Now I want a couple more too. I saw pandawill discount those 2 wks back, 4G/512 MB for $49. I dont like 512 MB, so I sit on it in the morning, and tried to get them by late afternoon. They were all gone. I wish I got 3 more. Now why do I think the PD10 is the best? I got several tablets in the same price range. Most of them do fine with normal internet working, email, browsing etc. But when go to Skype video chat, only PD10 is doing good, and ICOO D50 lite is doing kind of alright, the rest simply have very blochy video signal and poor audio quality! I believe video chat is the ultimum test for cheat tablet performance.

    bun


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •